I am a regular Home Goods drifter. I go so often, I have a schedule. Walk in, head straight towards kitchen. I spend about 20 minutes looking through the glass jars, dreaming of all the etching I could do, useless things I could find to put in them. Then to the dish section, where I spend 30 minutes arranging lovely place settings in my head, for parties I'll never have. 10 minutes observing their vases and other glasswares. But I save the best for last... the needless accesory aisle. Usually I find 3-4 things I can't come up with a use for, but can't live without. About a year ago I found these cookie cutters from Fred & Friends and have been patiently
waiting dying to give them a whirl. Therefore, may I say these babies gave me quite a bit of satisfaction.
Kick-butt (bahahah) Gingerbread recipe
1 1/2 cups dark :molasses
1 cup packed brown sugar
2/3 cup cold water
1/3 cup shortening
7 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground allspice
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Mix molasses, brown sugar, water and shortening.
2. Mix in remaining ingredients.
I highly recommend mixing the last two cups of flour by hand...
3. Cover and refrigerate for at least two hours
(uggh the inpatient kinder-gardener-in me makes an appearance)
4. Pull out dough and allow to warm a bit, heat oven to 350°
5. Roll dough 1/4 inch thick on a floured board.
6. Cut with floured gingerbread or NINJAbread cutters.
7. Place about 2 inches apart on a lightly greased cookie sheet.
8. Bake until no indentation remains when touched. (10-12 minutes)