Fall has landed, my friends. As I quickly type these words: click click click - the sky thunders and flashes. I am overwhelmed with the deep thinking that accompanies the moodier forecasts.
How can it possibly be September already?
On a day like today, the only logical solution is to keep cooped up. Maybe I'll nap on the couch in my big fluffy duvet. Or take a steamy bath to the sounds of water thump-thumping on my roof. One thing is for sure, I'll be enjoying the warm flavors of fall - all wrapped up in this joyous apple butter. (and toast!)
4 lbs apples - peeled, cored and sliced
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
1. Place the apples in a slow cooker. Combine sugars, cinnamon, nutmeg cloves and salt. Pour the mixture over the apples and mix well.
2. Cook in slow cooker on low for 10 hours, stirring occasionally
3. Uncover, stir in vanilla and continue cooking uncovered on low for about 2 hours.
4. Puree the apple butter until smooth.
5. Refrigerate for up to two weeks.
P.S. Have you had your first pumpkin spiced latte of the season yet? #10years!!